Félix BARSINAS, president of the CODIM has presented with a team of the ministry of culture and environnement, the “Marquesas islands” project before the National Centre of French Heritage on April 10th 2018. The project proposes 9 sites to be listed as French heritage before this project can be presented before the UNESCO committee.
The 9 selected sites from the original 43 selected in 2013 are:
- The island of Hatutu and its maritime zone in Hatuta’a, north of Nuku Hiva;
- Hatiheu in Nuku Hiva
- Paeke in Nuku Hiva
- and a vast natural area south-west in Nuku Hiva ;
- The spiky mountains in Ua Pou, its valley Haka’oohoka and the bay of Hoho’i,
- Motu Oa, south of Ua Pou;
- Paepae Menaha in Ua Pou;
- Me’ae of lipona and the valley of Puamau in Hiva Oa;
- Hanavave, mounts Tou-aouoho and Mounani, and the cliffs of Omoa in Fatu Hiva.
All 9 selected sites and those not selected are all exceptional.
Follow the outcome of the Marquesas-UNESCO project on our media space (in French)